About the detention of members of NIDA Civic Movement (CM). Baku, Azerbaijan 04 April 2013 Seven young members of NIDA CM – Mahammad Azizov, Bakhtiyar Guliyev, Shahin Novruzlu, Rashad Hasanov, Rashadat Akundov, Uzeyir Mammadli, Zaur Gurbanli were detained on bogus charges.
The Grave Crimes Investigation Department under the prosecutor general’s office arrested the activities under 228.3 article of the Criminal Code (illegal purchase, transfer, selling, storage, transportation and carrying of fire-arms, accessories to it, supplies, explosives).
The National Platform expresses its concern over politically motivated arrests intensified in Azerbaijan in 2013, especially unreasonable detention of youth activists of NIDA civic movement. The National Platform considers that the allegations against these youths are intended to silence their public-political activeness, to intimidate other young activists and discourage their involvement in political and public activities. Generally, these arrests are targeted to restrict the civic activity and freedom of assembly in the country and stifle public initiatives through repressions.
Therefore, the National Platform is calling the Azerbaijan government to put an end to unreasonable accusations against youths, especially members of NIDA CM, comply with the standards required by the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and other international commitments, and immediately release the detainees.
Members of National Platform of Civil Society Forum on Azerbaijan of Eastern Partnership Program of European Union:
- Gubad Ibadoglu, Public İnitiatives Center (PİC)
- Ilgar Ibrahimoglu, Center for the Protection of Freedom of Conscience and Religion (DEVAMM)
- Anar Mammadli, Election Monitoring and Democracy Studies Center (EMDS)
- Rasul Jafarov, Human Rights Club (HRC)
- Elchin Abdullayev, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Social Union (DIHRSU)
- Novella Jafarova, Society for Protection Women’s Rights named after D. Aliyeva
- Zohrab Ismayil, Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy (PAAFE)
- Leyla Aliyeva, Center for National and International Studies (CNIS)
- Sabit Bagirov, Entrepreneurship Development Foundation (EDF)
- Kenan Aslanli, Public Finance Monitoring Center (PFMC)
- Samir Isayev, Legal Think Tank
- Sevil Yuzbashova, “Eco-World” Public Union
- Sevil Isayeva, Environmental law center “Ecolex”
- Mirvari Gahramanli, Oil Workers’ Rights Protection Organization Public Union
- Mammadhasan Hasanov, Public Union for solving social-economic problems of Mortar Victims
- Sevil Allahverdiyeva, Center for Research of Women’s Problems (CRWP)
- Irada Javadova, Education on human rights public association ( EHR)
- Rena Safaraliyeva, Transparency International -Azerbaijan